Christ My Song - 115
Sweet was the hour, O Lord, to thee - The well of Sychar
(Edward Denny/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The well of Sychar.
2. Thither she came, but oh! her heart,
all filled with earthly care,
dreamed not of thee, nor thought to find
the Hope of Israel there.
3. Lord! 'twas thy power unseen that drew
the stray one to that place,
in solitude to learn of thee
the secrets of thy grace.
4. There Jacob's erring daughter found
those streams unknown before,
the waterbrooks of life that make
the weary thirst no more.
5. And, Lord, to us, as vile as she,
thy gracious lips have told
that mystery of love, revealed
at Jacob's well of old.
6. In spirit, Lord, we've sat with thee
beside the springing well
of life and peace – and heard thee there
its healing virtues tell.
7. Dead to the world, we dream no more
of earthly pleasures now;
our deep, divine, unfailing spring
of grace and glory thou!
8. No hope of rest in aught beside,
no beauty, Lord, we see;
and, like Samaria's daughter, seek
and find our all in thee.
Edward Denny, Hymns and Poems, 1870, 37-39.