Christ My Song - 219
Hark, the glad sound! the Saviour comes
(Philip Doddridge/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Hark, the glad sound!
2. On him the Spirit, largely poured,
exerts its sacred fire;
wisdom and might, and zeal and love,
his holy breast inspire.
3. He comes, the prisoners to release,
in Satan's bondage held;
the gates of brass before him burst,
the iron fetters yield.
4. He comes, from thickest films of vice
to clear the mental ray,
and on the eyeballs of the blind
to pour celestial day.
5. He comes, the broken heart to bind,
the bleeding soul to cure,
and with the treasure of his grace
enrich the humble poor.
6. His silver trumpets publish loud
the jubilee of the Lord;
our debts are all remitted now,
our heritage restored.
7. Our glad hosannas, Prince of Peace,
thy welcome shall proclaim,
and heaven's eternal arches ring
with thy beloved name.
Philip Doddridge,in: Schaff, Philip: Christ in Song, 1870, 52-53.