Christ My Song - 225
Fling out the Banner! let it float
(George Washington Doane/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Fling out the Banner! let it float.
2. Fling out the Banner! Angels bend,
in anxious silence o'er the sign;
and vainly seek to comprehend
the wonder of the love divine.
3. Fling out the Banner! Heathen lands
shall see, from far, the glorious sight;
and nations, crowding to be born,
baptize their spirits in its light.
4. Fling out the Banner! Sin-sick souls,
that sink and perish in the strife,
shall touch in faith its radiant hem,
and spring immortal into life.
5. Fling out the Banner! Let it float
skyward and seaward, high and wide;
our glory, only in the Cross,
our only hope, the Crucified.
6. Fling out the Banner! Wide and high,
seaward and skyward, let it shine:
nor skill, nor might, nor merit, ours;
we conquer only in that sign.
George Washington Doane, in: Philip Schaff: Christ in Song, 1870, 160-161.