Christ My Song - 272
To Jesus, the Crown of my hope - Longing to be with Christ
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Longing to be with Christ.
2. My Saviour, whom absent I love,
whom, not having seen, I adore;
whose name is exalted above
all glory, dominion, and power;
3. dissolve thou these bonds, that detain
my soul from her portion in thee;
ah! strike off this adamant chain,
and make me eternally free.
4. When that happy era begins,
when arrayed in thy glories I shine,
nor grieve any more, by my sins,
the bosom on which I recline:
5. oh, then shall the veil be removed,
and round me thy brightness be poured;
I shall meet him whom absent I loved,
I shall see whom unseen I adored.
6. And then, never more shall the fears,
the trials, temptations, and woes,
which darken this valley of tears,
intrude on my blissful repose.
7. Or, if yet remembered above,
remembrance no sadness shall raise;
they will be but new signs of thy love,
new themes for thy wonder and praise.
8. Thus the strokes which from sin and from pain
shall set me eternally free,
will but strengthen and rivet the chain
which binds me, my Saviour, to thee.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 270.