Christ My Song - 275
O God, whose favourable eye - True and False Comforts
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
True and False Comforts.
2. Not such as hypocrites suppose,
who with a graceless heart
taste not of thee, but drink a dose,
prepared by Satan's art.
3. Intoxicating joys are theirs,
who, while thy boast their light,
and seem to soar above the stars,
are plunging into night.
4. Lulled in a soft and fatal sleep,
they sin, and yet rejoice;
were they indeed the Saviour's sheep,
would they not hear his voice?
5. Be mine the comforts that reclaim
the soul from Satan's power;
that make me blush for what I am,
and hate my sin the more.
6. 'Tis joy enough, my All in All,
at thy dear feet to lie;
thou wilt not let me lower fall,
and none can higher fly.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 265.