Christ My Song - 277
No strength of nature can suffice - Love Constraining to Obedience (William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Love Constraining to Obedience.
2. How long beneath the law I lay
in bondage and distress!
I toiled the precept to obey,
but toiled without success.
3. Then, to abstain from outward sin
was more than I could do;
now, if I feel its power within,
I feel I hate it too.
4. Then, all my servile works were done
a righteousness to rise;
now, freely chosen in the Son,
I freely choose his ways.
5. "What shall I do," was then the word,
"that I may worthier grow?"
"What shall I render to the Lord?"
is my enquiry now.
6. To see the law by Christ fulfilled,
and hear his pardoning voice,
changes a slave into a child,
and duty into choice.
6,3: Romans 3, 31.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 263.