Christ My Song - 279
Dear Lord! accept a sinful heart - Self-acquaintance
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
1. Dear Lord! accept a sinful heart,
which of itself complains,
and mourns, with much and frequent smart,
the evil it contains. PDF - Midi
2. The fiery seeds of anger lurk,
which often hurt my frame;
and wait but for the tempter's work,
to fan them to a flame.
3. Legality holds out a bribe
to purchase life from thee;
and discontent would fain prescribe
how thou shalt deal with me.
4. While unbelief withstands thy grace,
and puts the mercy by;
presumption, with a brow of brass,
says, "Give me, or I die."
5. How eager are my thoughts to roam
in quest of what they love!
But ah! when duty calls them home,
how heavily they move!
6. Oh, cleanse me in a Saviour's blood,
transform me by thy power,
and make me thy beloved abode,
and let me rove no more.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 256-257.