Christ My Song - 281
The saints should never be dismayed - The Lord will Provide
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Jehovah-Jireh - The Lord will Provide.
2. This Abraham found: he raised the knife;
God saw, and said: "Forbear!
Yon ram shall yield his meaner life;
behold the victim there."
3. Once David seemed Saul's certain prey;
but hark! the foe's at hand;
Saul turns his arms another way,
to save the invaded land.
4. When Jonah sank beneath the wave,
he thought to rise no more;
but God prepared a fish to save,
and bear him to the shore.
5. Blessed proofs of power and grace divine,
that meet us in his word!
May every deep-felt care of mine
be trusted with the Lord.
6. Wait for his seasonable aid,
and though it tarry, wait:
the promise may be long delayed,
but cannot come too late.
3,2: 1 Samuel 23,27.
4,2: Jonah 1,17.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 234-235.