Christ My Song - 316
The Spirit breathes upon the Word - The light and glory of the Word (William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The light and glory of the Word.
1. The Spirit breathes upon the Word,
and brings the truth to sight;
precepts and promises afford
a sanctifying light. (PDF - Midi)
2. A glory gilds the sacred page,
majestic like the sun;
it gives a light to every age,
it gives, but borrows none.
3. The hand that gave it still supplies
the gracious light and heat:
his truths upon the nations rise,
they rise, but never set.
4. Let everlasting thanks be thine,
for such a bright display,
as makes a world of darkness shine
with beams of heavenly day.
5. My soul rejoices to pursue
the steps of him I love,
till glory breaks upon my view
in brighter worlds above.
William Cowper, Complete Poetical Works, ca. 1853, 250.