Christ My Song - 330
How blessed thy creature is, O God - The Happy Change
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The Happy Change.
2. Through all the storms that veil the skies,
and frown on earthly things,
the Sun of Righteousness he eyes,
with healing on his wings.
3. Struck by that light, the human heart,
a barren soil no more,
sends the sweet smell of grace abroad,
where serpents lurked before.
4. The soul a dreary province once
of Satan's dark domain,
feels a new empire formed within,
and owns a heavenly reign.
5. The glorious orb, whose golden beams
the fruitful year control,
since first, obedient to thy word,
he started from the goal;
6. has cheered the nations with the joys
his orient rays impart;
but, Jesus, 'tis thy light alone
can shine upon the heart.
3,4: Isaiah 35,7.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works
of William Cowper, 1853(?), 258.