Christ My Song - 54
Thou Lord of all, on earth hast dwelt
(Samuel Prideaux Tregelles/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Thou Lord of all, on earth hast dwelt.
2. But oh! how full of truth and grace
through all thou dost appear!
And thus with wonder we retrace
thy path of sorrow here.
3. Thou on the cross didst suffer, too,
more than man's eye could see;
for then the wrath, that was our due,
was poured, O Lord, on thee!
4. But thou art risen; and now we know
that thou, in heaven above,
for all God's children here below
dost feel a brother's love.
5. Oh, may we ever look to thee
for needed grace and strength,
till we thy face in glory see,
and reign with thee at length!
6. Till then may we, who bear thy name,
thy blessed example take,
and count the world's reproach and shame
as glory, for thy sake.
7. Since thou the cup of wrath didst drain,
none now for us is there;
the drops of sorrow that remain,
shall we refuse to share?
Samuel Prideaux Tregelles,in: Philip Schaff: Christ in Song, 1870, 114.