Christ My Song - 77
O holy Saviour! Friend unseen! - Prayer to the Saviour
(Charlotte Elliott/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Prayer to the Saviour.
1. O holy Saviour! Friend unseen!
The faint, the weak, on thee may lean:
help me, throughout life's varying scene,
by faith to cling to thee. PDF - Midi
2. Blessed with communion so divine,
take what thou wilt, shall I repine,
when, as the branches of the vine,
my soul may cling to thee?
3. Far from her home, fatigued, oppressed,
here she has found a place of rest;
an exile still, yet not unblessed,
while she can cling to thee.
4. Without a murmur I dismiss
my former dreams of earthly bliss;
my joy, my recompense, be this,
each hour to cling to thee.
5. What though the world deceitful prove,
and earthly friends and joys remove;
with patient, uncomplaining love,
still would I cling to thee.
6. Oft when I seem to tread alone
some barren waste, with thorns o'ergrown,
a voice of love, in gentlest tone,
whispers, "Still cling to me."
7. Though faith and hope awhile be tried,
I ask not, need not, aught beside:
how safe, how calm, how satisfied,
the souls that cling to thee!
8. They fear not life's rough storms to brave,
since thou art near, and strong to safe;
nor shudder e'en at death's dark wave;
because they cling to thee!
9. Blessed is my lot, whate'er befall:
what can disturb me, who appal,
while, as my strength, my rock, my all,
Saviour! I cling to thee?
Charlotte Elliott, Selections from the Poems of Charlotte Elliott, 190-191.