Christ My Song - 778
What grace, O Lord, and beauty shone - The forgiving One
(Sir Edward Denny/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The forgiving One.
"Grace is poured into thy lips." (Psalm 45,2)
1. What grace, O Lord, and beauty shone
around thy steps below!
What patient love was seen in all
thy life and death of woe! PDF - Midi
2. For ever on thy burdened heart
a weight of sorrow hung,
yet no ungentle murmuring word
escaped thy silent tongue.
3. Thy foes might hate, despise, revile,
thy friends unfaithful prove:
unwearied in forgiveness still,
thy heart could only love.
4. Oh! give us hearts to love like thee,
like thee, O Lord, to grieve
far more for others' sins, than all
the wrongs that we receive.
5. One with thyself, may every eye
in us, thy brethren, see
that gentleness and grace that springs
from union, Lord, with thee.
Sir Edward Denny, Hymns and Poems, 1870, 41-42.