Christ My Song - 780
Where, in this waste unlovely world - Rest for the weary
(Sir Edward Denny/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Rest for the weary.
"Whom having not seen, ye love." (1 Peter 1,8)
1. Where, in this waste unlovely world,
may weary hearts, oppressed
with thoughts of sorrow yet to come,
in calm assurance rest? – PDF - Midi
2. In him, who, of the Father's love,
the gracious herald came,
of mercy to a guilty world,
of blessing through his name.
3. In him, who, with unsullied feet,
and guiltless spirit, trod
the paths of this unquiet earth,
in solitude with God.
4. In Jesus, who, ascended now,
looks backward on the past,
feels for his suff'ring members here,
and loves us to the last.
5. 'Tis only in his changeless love
our waiting spirits, blessed
with the sweet hope of glory, find
their dwelling-place and rest.
6. In the same track where he of old
the dreary desert trod,
led onward by his grace, we learn
the fulness of our God.
Sir Edward Denny, Hymns and Poems, 1870, 59-60.