Christ My Song - 811
In the depths of his bright glory - The secret of the Lord
(Frances Bevan/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The secret of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 11,9; Ephesians 5,23.
1. In the depths of his bright glory,
where the heavens rejoice,
I have seen him, I have known him,
I have heard his voice. (PDF - Midi)
2.He has told me how he sought me
in the cloudy day,
on the waste and lonely mountains
very far away.
3. Words unutterable he speaketh,
words that none can tell;
Yet, O Lord, thy wondrous secret
knows my heart full well.
4. I, in wonder and in silence,
listen and adore,
whilst the heart of God he tells me –
whilst my cup runs o'er.
5. Blessed light, within my dwelling,
in the darkest day;
blessed speech, as music sounding
all along the way.
6. Is it sweet to know he careth
for my smallest need –
know that he will ever tend me,
watch, and guard, and feed?
7. Yet unutterably sweeter,
wondrous though it be,
h i s desire is toward me;
h e had need of me!
8. Not for me is he in glory,
I for him am there,
in the garden of his pleasures
his delight to share.
9. Not to shield my path from sorrows
is his care and thought;
not to make the dark world brighter
where himself is not.
10. But to have me there beside him
in the love and light,
there to tell my heart how precious
am I in his sight.
11. There his heart's deep love disclosing,
told in words divine;
I have known h i s joy in saying,
"Thou art ever Mine."
12. Lost in silent love and wonder,
there my soul abides;
portion blessed beyond all telling –
Christ, and nought besides.
Frances Bevan, Hymns of Ter Steegen, Suso and others 1, 1899, 104-106.