Christ My Song - 1155
Lord, let thy Spirit from above
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Lord, let thy Spirit from above.
"The fruit of the Spirit is love." (Galatians 5,22)
2. We feel our emptiness of good,
and ask for a supply;
we cannot do the thing we would:
Lord, hear our earnest cry.
3. We cannot love thee as we ought,
nor can we love at all,
unless by thine own Spirit taught;
then hear, O hear our call!
4. We cannot serve thee as we should,
with reverence and fear;
we cannot do it, if we would;
but thine it is to hear:
5. to hear thy people, when they cry
for power to do thy will;
then hear us now; our wants supply:
be near thy people still.
6. Inspire our hearts, O Lord, with love;
with earnest love, and pure;
that we may live, and faithful prove;
and to the end endure.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 145.