Christ My Song - 1233
We ought to sing for joy today
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
We ought to sing for joy today.
"But I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice."
2. "The Lord is ris'n indeed!" How sweet,
how blessed to be sure of this!
To know his work to be complete;
to have our part with him and his.
3. To have a hope that we shall see
the Lord in heav'n with all his train;
with him that we shall ever be;
with him to live, with him to reign.
4. The people who with him are one,
arise with him, ascend, and reign;
their destiny to fill a throne.
What is there more than this to give?
5. All this is ours, if we are his;
his people then may sing today:
the pledge his resurrection is,
"the first-fruits" he, the harvest they.
6. As he arose, his people shall
themselves, when he appears, arise:
not one be missing. They shall all
ascend, and meet him in the skies.
7. "The end is then;" the day is won;
the Lord himself has won the day.
"The mystery of God" is done;
but what is after, who can say?
8. 'Tis that "which doth not yet appear;"
not seen, not heard, not dreamt of yet.
'Tis what there's no possessing here;
'tis joy and blessedness complete.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 460.