Christ My Song - 1419
Our Father sits on yonder throne
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Our Father sits on yonder throne.
"But now, O Lord, thou art our father." (Isaiah 64,8)
2. He knew us when we knew him not,
was with us, though unseen;
his favour came to us unsought,
his love has wondrous been.
3. He keeps us now, securely keeps,
(whatever foe assails,)
with vigilance that never sleeps,
with pow'r that never fails.
4. He gives us hope that we shall be
ere long with him above;
that we shall all his glory see,
and celebrate his love.
5. Then let us, while we dwell below,
obey our Father's voice;
to all his dispensations bow,
and in his name rejoice.
6. How sweet to hear him say at last,
"Ye blessed children, come;
the days of banishment are past,
and heav'n is now your home."
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 305.