Christ My Song - 1502
Eternal honour be to him
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Eternal honour be to him.
""Hereby perceive we the love of God,
because he laid down his life for us."" (1 John 3,16)
2. But few would die to save a friend,
he died to save his foes;
his love nor measure has, nor end,
'tis such as no man knows.
3. No words can tell its depth or height,
no love can equal his;
the love of God is infinite,
like God himself it is.
4. No sacrifice appeared too great,
the love of God to prove;
and thence we learn to estimate
the greatness of his love.
5. Yet all we know is, that his love
exceeds all others far;
how far, not all the hosts above
are able to declare.
6. But what we know makes wealth, and fame,
and pleasure seem but loss;
and renders dear the glorious name
of him who bore the cross.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 696.