Christ My Song - 2207
Why walk in darkness? Has the dear light vanished - Why Walk in Darkness? (Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Why Walk in Darkness?
2. Light of the world! for ever, ever shining,
there is no change in thee;
true light of life, all joy and health enshrining,
thou canst not fade nor flee.
3. Thou hast arisen, but thou descendest never;
today shines as the past:
all that thou wast, thou art, and shalt be ever,
brightness from first to last!
4. Night visits not thy sky, nor storm, nor sadness;
day fills up all its blue;
unfailing beauty, and unfaltering gladness,
and love for ever new!
5. Why walk in darkness? Our true Light yet shineth;
it is not night, but day!
All healing and all peace his light enshrineth;
why shun his loving ray?
6. Are night and shadows better, truer, dearer,
than day and joy and love?
Do tremblings and misgivings bring us nearer
to the great God of love?
7. Light of the world! undimming and unsetting,
oh shine each mist away!
Banish the fear, the falsehood, and the fretting;
be our unchanging day!
Horatius Bonar, Hymns of Faith and Hope II, 1878, 105-106.