Christ My Song - 2315
O this soul, how dark and blind! - Confession
(Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
2. O these ever roaming eyes,
upward that refuse to rise;
these still wayward feet of mine,
found in every path but thine!
3. O these pulses felt within,
beating for the world and sin,
sending round the fevered blood,
in a fierce and carnal flood!
4. O this stubborn, prayerless knee,
hands so seldom clasped to thee,
longings of the soul, that go,
like the wild wind, to and fro;
5. to and fro without an aim,
turning idly whence they came,
bringing in no joy, nor bliss,
adding to my weariness!
6. Giver of the heavenly peace,
bid, o bid, these tumults cease;
minister thy holy balm,
fill me with thy Spirit's calm!
7. Thou the life, the truth, the way,
leave me not in sin to stray;
bearer of the sinner's guilt,
lead me, lead me, as thou wilt!
Horatius Bonar, Hymns of Faith and Hope II, 1872, 30-31.
5,2: 'turning' instead of 'returning'