Christ My Song - 395
Rest, weary Son of God, and I, with thee (Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Rest, weary Son of God.
2. Rest, weary Son of God; we joy to think
that all thy toil is done.
No ache, no pang, no sigh for thee again;
thy joy is now begun.
3. Thy life on earth was one sad weariness;
nowhere to lay thy head.
Thy days were toil and heat; thy lonely nights
sought some cold mountain bed.
4. How calmly in that quiet tomb thou liest now,
thy rest how still and deep!
O'er thee in love the Father rests: he gives
to his beloved sleep.
5. On Bethel-pillow now thy head is laid,
in Joseph's rock-hewn cell;
thy watchers are the angels of thy God:
they guard thy slumber well.
6. With thee thy God and Father still abides,
and thou art not alone.
He in that still dark chamber is with thee,
the well-beloved Son.
7. Oh, silent, silent is thy earthly tomb!
The raging of thy foes
is ended all! nor Jew nor Roman now
can ruffle thy repose.
8. Rest, weary Son of God: thy work is done,
and all thy burdens borne;
rest on that stone, till the third sun has brought
thine everlasting morn.
9. Then to a higher, brighter, truer rest,
upon the throne above,
rise, weary Son of Man, to carry out
thy glorious work of love.