Christ My Song - 512
Calm me, my God, and keep me calm - The inner calm
(Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The inner calm.
1. Calm me, my God, and keep me calm,
while these hot breezes blow,
be like the night-dew's cooling balm
upon earth's fevered brow. PDF - Midi
2. Calm me, my God, and keep me calm,
soft resting on thy breast,
soothe me with holy hymn and psalm,
and bid my spirit rest.
3. Calm me, my God, and keep me calm;
let thine outstretchèd wing
be like the shade of Elim's palm,
beside her desert-spring.
4. Yes, keep me calm, tho' loud and rude
the sounds my ear that greet,
calm in the closet's solitude,
calm in the bustling street.
5. Calm in the hour of buoyant health,
calm in my hour of pain,
calm in my poverty or wealth,
calm in my loss or gain.
6. Calm in the sufferance of wrong,
like him who bore my shame,
calm 'mid the threatening, taunting throng,
who hate thy holy name.
7. Calm when the great world's news with power
my listening spirit stir;
let not the tidings of the hour
e'er find too fond an ear.
8. Calm as the ray of sun or star,
which storms assail in vain;
moving unruffled thro' earth's war,
the eternal calm to gain.
Horatius Bonar, Hymns of Faith and Hope I, 1878, 123-124.