Christ My Song - 533
Sweet song of life! oh, sound again - The song of life
(Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The song of life.
1. Sweet song of life! oh, sound again
sound in this realm of death and pain,
a louder, sweeter, fuller strain! (PDF - Midi)
2. Sweet song of life! breathe out again
thy low, long, lingering refrain,
and bind us in thy blessed chain.
3. Be it a sing of sympathies,
knitting together good and wise,
as wave o'er wave its ripples rise.
4. A varied, ever-winding song,
to which all cadences belong,
plaintive or glad, serene or strong;
5. the relics of an ancient lay,
the sunshine of an August day,
the grandeur of great minstrelsy.
6. Be it a song the soul to fill,
its tumults to control or still,
to nerve the ever-trembling will.
7. Song of the everlasting age!
Our children's children's heritage;
song of the mighty pilgrimage!
8. Song of the future and the past,
of love that shall for ever last,
o'er us thy spell celestial cast.
9. Oh! die not down, but sweetly rise
above the jar of broken sighs,
above earth's din of angry cries.
10. Come up and fill the happy air,
chime in with all the good and fair,
oh! chime away all sin and care.
11. Awake! as once in Eden's bloom,
when Paradise contained no tomb,
thy healing melody resume.
12. Pervade this being with thy strain,
charm from our limbs this binding chain,
let all the soul be song again.
13. Dear song of life! pass not away;
fair music of eternal day,
for ever, ever with us stay!
14. Filled with thy solemn melody
let sky and earth, let land and sea,
for ever and for ever be!
Horatius Bonar, Hymns of the Nativity, 1879, 21-23.