Christ My Song - 73
The head that once was crowned with thorns
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The head that once was crowned with thorns.
"Perfect through sufferings." (Hebrews 2,10)
2. The highest place that heaven affords
is his, is his by right,
"the King of kings, and Lord of lords,"
and heaven's eternal light!
3. The joy of all who dwell above,
the joy of all below
to whom he manifests his love,
and grants his name to know.
4. To them, the cross, with all its shame,
with all its grace, is given;
their name an everlasting name,
their joy the joy of heaven.
5. They suffer with their Lord below,
they reign with him above;
their profit and their joy to know
the mystery of his love.
6. The cross he bore is life and health,
though shame and death to him;
his people's hope, his people's wealth,
their everlasting theme.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 53.