Christ My Song - 858
When it is well with thee before thy God - Intercession
(Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
2. Pray for thy friends: let the full heart go out
for all thou lovest here; forget not one:
count o'er the precious names; nor let a doubt
obtrude that God upon thy cry can frown.
3. For the dear church of God thy prayers prolong,
the one wide family of God below,
the little flock of every tribe and tongue;
all one in faith, in love, in joy and woe.
4. For all the many members of that throng,
and for each fellow-pilgrim lone and faint;
known or unknown, the feeble or the strong,
for each hard-pressed and sorrow-stricken saint.
5. Plead for the bleeding heart and burdened soul,
plead for the weary and the wounded here;
ask that the God of health would make them whole,
and the great Comforter dispense his cheer.
6. Plead for the weary earth, upon whose breast
ages of evil and unrighteousness
have lain, unbroken by one hour of rest;
plead for the hast'ning of the age of peace.
7. Plead for the advent of the promised King,
the reign of heavenly glory here on earth,
the budding of the world's eternal spring,
the coming of creation's second birth.
Horatius Bonar, The Song of the New Creation, 1872, 81-82.