Christ My Song - 1960
Low at thy feet my spirit lies - "Out of the depths"
(Meta Heusser-Schweizer/Jane Laurie Borthwick/
Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
"Out of the depths."
2. Forsake me not amid the strife,
the toil and weariness of life!
Though all around may fail or flee,
my soul is safe, O Lord, with thee!
3. And other souls, than self more dear,
thou gavest me to watch for here; –
ah, thou must watch! my anguished care
is almost ending in despair!
4. Thou knowest all the conflict hard,
from year to year the hopes deferred;
the longing sigh, as time wears on,
"O watchman! is the night not gone?"
5. How vainly have I wept and strove!
And, have I erred in prayer and love?
Thou canst not err; Lord, hear me still!
Teach me to know and wait thy will!
6. By the sole merit of thy blood,
forgive our sins, O Lamb of God!
And when our foes and fears increase,
grant us thy patience and thy peace.
7. If earthly hopes must prostrate lie,
if dearest ones must droop and die,
over the ruins let some ray
shine from the dawn of endless day.
8. And when the darkest hour comes on,
the way seems lost, the land-marks gone,
show on thy cross, in words of light,
"The morning cometh, after night."
9. Fondly I dreamed of perfect bliss
on earth; but now I wait for this,
till buds of promised grace and love
shall blossom in thy home above.
10. Do all that seemeth good to thee,
if only I at last may see,
safe in thine everlasting rest,
the children of my sorrows blessed!