Christ My Song - 151
We give thee thanks, O Lord, who hast - Thanksgiving and petition (Carl Johann Philipp Spitta/Richard Massie/
Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Thanksgiving and petition.
2. Past is the false security
wherein so long we lay,
till we were kindly called by thee
to wake without delay.
3. New are the longings and desires
we feel for things above;
thy grace it is, which now inspires,
and fills our hearts with love.
4. And yet how much remains, alas!
which needs to be made new,
ere we reflect, as in a glass,
thine image pure and true.
5.Thou who didst make our bosoms glow
with longings after thee,
present thyself to us e'en so,
as thou wouldst have us be.
6. Awake us daily, keep alive
the flame that else would die;
our spirit, when it faints, revive,
our soul, oh! sanctify.
7. Make to the spirit pleasing what
the flesh abhors, O God:
thy grace makes sweet the bitter lot,
and light the heavy load.
8. Embitter all, be what it may,
which severs us from thee;
draw us, and we will run the way
of life and liberty.
9. Do with us what to thee seems best,
so all be done in love,
to bring us to our heavenly rest,
our Father's house above.